Friday, February 13, 2015

Leute (people)

Clank, clank, chugga, chugga...the train glided through the Austrian Alps. My train from Vienna to Graz was a beautiful experience. Though I should have slept after being jet-lagged, I was to busy pressing my face against the cool-glass scanning the strong, sturdy mountains in the background. The snow-sprinkled pine trees covered many of the mountains (can't see in any pictures posted).


A pole photo bombing this awesome scenery. Would've been my favorite photo...


So my train ride was quite a trip! When I finally got to my last stop, I was excited to put my 90lbs of luggage in my room. There of course were complications...so I met up with an Austrian student who was designated to help me get around. She was very nice and helpful with getting me moved into my room. Of course it took like 15 minutes for us to figure out how to get Top 11. I mean what the heck does that even mean? Apparently after running around the building for about 15 minutes with the 90lbs of luggage it was on the 4th floor. Was I going to take the stairs? Noooooo...but I did and found out my room was on the other side of the building (face palm). So long story short, I took care of all the preliminary stuff after 2 days (including one day, 3 hours of walking around--lost) of staying in Graz. 

So two Americans, a Swede, and a Spaniard walk into a bar...

Yes, this is how my first bar trip in Graz played out. So I went to a pub that is known as a hangout for international students. There were a descent amount of Americans and a few Montclair Students there! Exciting! There I tried the following beers: Gösser, and Murauer. Both beers are brewed in Austria. 

....But enough about beer, I'll probably make a whole post dedicated to that later on. Let's talk about people! It was like freshmen year of college all over again. So let's make a bar graph to get a good idea of all the people I've met thus far! 


So I've met people between the nights I went out, in my apartment, and class. Maybe I will keep adding to this graph and see what happens overtime. I am just as surprised as you, that there are so many Americans here. I guess it is just that time of the year when American students decide to study in Graz, Austria.

Some people that fall under the list above are my roommates ("flatmates" for all you British-English learners). They come from Spain, Sweden, Lithuania, Texas (USA), and Saudi Arabia. Each has their own story, as does every human-being. I would like to have a little bio for each individual, but that is what Wikipedia is for. Anyway, I am happy with my roommates (flatmates) because they are all chill and lots of fun. Here is a little montage of mostly embarrassing photos:

My double roommate: "The Spanish Conquistador"

Viva la Texas! ***not a communist

Selfie with some of the neighbors...the gentleman to my right: "The Suave Swede"

"The Amazing Australian" himself. Trust me you couldn't handle a smile if I posted one.

I hope you enjoyed my little montage of photos of some of the people I have met. It really opens you up to meet others that talk, walk, and eat differently. I have learned so much in the short time that I have been in Austria. Of course there is plenty of photos I wish that I had taken, but sometimes you just get lost in the moment (or forget your camera). When I think about it, cherishing each moment is a lot better than a picture. If a large tower of Legos represented my entire life, how would I reach the top? Each brick represents a moment that stacked on top of each other to help construct a piece of the Lego tower. Yes, sometimes I went astray and the blocks made some crazy architecture down below--but I kept building up. When I look back on the craziness that was my life, I stop and smile but continue to build up, because trust me--its a long way back down. 

So friends, family, and colleagues...remember the world that is out there and all the different kinds of blocks that were used to get you were you are. Every Lego tower can be a great Lego tower, just drop the metaphor, and remember each moment that made you...well, you! 

Bis Später! and tune-in next post for the next great Austrian Adventure! 









No comments:

Post a Comment